The premise is very simple: the person running the Twitter account goes out to an inner city location every day, posting pictures of where they are. When a Twitter follower recognises her/him, they get free jeans. About 8 pairs of jeans are given away every day, in different styles on different days, men’s and women’s. I notice that its been building followers steadily, and now the Sydney tweeters are noticing and interacting
Why does it work?
- Its using Twitter at a very localised, grass roots level, but can easily be scaled to different suburbs, cities, countries
- Everyone loves a treasure hunt – makes you watch the Twitter account more closely because you know there’s going to be some stuff happening
- Everyone loves getting free shit (a.k.a. free samples)
- Builds instant brand advocacy because its a great conversation starter “Look at the free Levis jeans I won off Twitter”
- Feels genuine because it has photos of real winners, with the jeans
- Even those who don’t win get to join the conversation
- Suddenly, Levis look like a cool brand (nothing like talking to the cool kids)
- Yes it could be done without Twitter, but doing it on Twitter makes it more fun
Have you seen it? Have you won some jeans? Share your thoughts.