When considering your personal or a company or a corporate social media policy, one of the key cornerstones should be honesty.
- Because so much advertising, marketing and PR involves spin, stretches of truth, hyperbole and wild claims.
- Because in social media, authenticity and honesty are valuable commodities.
- Because you can’t “buy” honesty.
- Because an honest, personal voice can’t please all of the people, all of the time. Which makes it untenable for those looking for the bland and inoffensive.
- Because it takes time to build the credibility to be considered “honest”
- Because honesty is rewarded through followers/fans/subscriptions
So how do you talk about things that are negative, bad, disastrous, compromising or just plain bad? Honesty still counts. Just stick to the facts. Don’t lie.
Its that simple.